- Create a folder for all your moving documents.
- As you pack dispose of any items no longer needed. You don’t want to pay to move those items.
- Make a note of any precious items that may need special care to move.
- Gas cylinders and air bottles should be empty with valves open, flammable liquids safely disposed of.
- If travelling, remember passports, tickets, visas etc.
- Obtain cartons, paper, bubble wrap, zip-lock bags for screws, medication etc., tape and marking pen.
- Use clean white paper, not newspaper as it soils items.
- Label every carton clearly as to contents and its room destination
- Dismantle furniture that comes apart – place screws into a zip lock bag label and put these into a carton with small valuable items, such as keys, assembly instructions for TV, DVD, Player, etc., include easy-to-lose items such as remote controls, mobile phone chargers.
- Create a “FIRST NIGHT” Carton: Medication, toiletries, pyjamas, towels, bed linen, favourite toys, pet needs, school needs, work clothes anything needed for the 1st night and essentials for the following day
- Pack lighter items in large cartons, heavier items in small cartons.
2-3 weeks to moving day
Notify, organise, disconnection, reconnection
- Organise schooling, preschool transfers.
- Australia Post
- Electricity, Gas
- Phone, Internet, Pay TV
- Cleaner for your established home
- Subscription services e.g. newspaper /magazines
- Insurance Clubs-Sports, RSL, Stamp, Book, Craft
- Drivers Licence
- Registration e.g. car, motor bike boat, trailer
- Banks, Building Society etc.
- Electoral roll
- Family, Friends
1 week to moving day
- In the kitchen, use up all opened packets and throw out goods past their use-by date.
- Start using up food in freezer or organise an esky to carry your food in on the removal day.
- Have car checked if travelling long distances.
- Indoor plants should be lightly watered and packed into plastic lined boxes. Don’t water the day before. Check plants for ants as these cannot be moved by the removalist
- Drain lawn mower, remove batteries from battery powered items.
2 Days to moving day
- Check settlement time with your solicitor
- Collect dry cleaning.
- Arrange parking and access for removalist truck.
- Make sure removalist has clear instructions as to your new address and mobile phone numbers.
- Establish access details and key collection for your new home.
- Contact your new local council for garbage collection information.
The day before
- Create a ‘SURVIVAL’ box. Include important medications, first-aid kit, tea, coffee, kettle, milk, snacks, baby or children’s essentials, Dog’s lead, pet food and bowls.
- If scheduled, professional packers: Make sure you leave out essential items for that evening and the following morning.
- Defrost, empty, dry out and air your refrigerator.
- Prepare all items that you wish to transport yourselves.
- Back up your computer.
- Transport perishable food items in an esky, Have at hand your “FIRST NIGHT” and “PRIORITY” box.
- Continue to check house / property for forgotten items as the truck is being loaded. Check tops of cupboards.
- Lock house, remember to leave keys as specified.